This guide will take you step by step through the process of using a great (and free) little App so you can watch any video in a small player that stays above other windows / apps, " picture-in-picture style.
- Head over to the PiP-Tool download page and download the PiP-Tool .MSI file. Once the download has completed, double-click the file to start the installation. Once done, launch PiP-Tool via its desktop shortcut or the Start Menu. A small dark-gray window will appear at the top of your screen – Pip-Tool. If you need to move it, click within the 'grid' area on the left side of the app and drag it across the screen.
- Click on the window that contains the video you want to use. It can be an app like VLC, a video playing in a browser window, even a PowerPoint slideshow. A small wireframe will appear in that window (see screenshot below). Click on one of the circular 'markers' and drag it.
- Continue using those markers so that the frame covers all of the video.
- Once in place, click the 'check mark' inside the PiP Tool.
- The video will now appear in a small box on top of all other open apps.
- Click and drag that small box to the location you want it on your screen.
- You can resize the small video window by click-and-drag from the bottom right corner.
- When you decide you want to close the picture-in-picture video, hover your cursor over the video and click the “X” that appears.
- You can use PiP-Tool within any app that contains video – including YouTube.
- Now you can watch video while working on other things 🙂