Before you start playing any type of 5-card poker, you have to learn the 10 basic ways to win. In order from lowest to highest, they are:
1. High card.
2. Pair of cards, like two 2s.
3. Two pairs of cards, like two 5s and two 9s.
4. Three of a kind that three 4s.
5. Straight, which is five cards in sequential order. For example, a player may have a 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 of any suit.
6. Flush, which is when a player has five cards of the same color in any order. For example, a player may have a 2, 7, 1
7. Full house, which is when a player has a pair and a three in a stroke.
8. Four of a kind, like all four aces.
9. Straight flushing, which is when you have five cards in sequential order of the same color. For example, a player can have a 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 clubs.
10. Royal Flush, which is a straight flush containing a 10, Jack, Queen, King and Ace.
If two people have the same hand, the person with the higher cards wins. So if, for example, if Daniel has a pair of 3s and Maggie has a pair of 10s, Maggie wins because her pair is higher.
To play Texas Hold & # 39; Em, which is the most common type of poker, you will first have to bet your "ante", which is your "buy in bet" to play the round. Ante is usually a small bet, like $ 1 or $ 5, and it is determined by the table. When everyone has bet their ante, the dealer will handle two cards for each player. Keep these cards secret from everyone else. Now, each player will take a look at their cards and choose whether or not to bet. When there is a betting round, you can choose to "fold", which means that you do not play this round, "check", which means matching their bet or "raise" which means you spend more money on the game pool. Players who are reluctant to "check" a bet must be folded and if all but one player "folds", that player wins! Once everyone has wagered, the dealer will reveal three cards. These cards are known as the "flop". When you see the flop, start planning which hand you want to do, considering that there are still two more cards to be revealed. For example, are your cards both diamonds and have the flop two diamond cards? If so, you may want to aim for a reel, which is when you have five cards of the same color. After the flop, everyone has the chance to bet again before the dealer reveals the next card, which is the "turn". Bet again if you want, and the dealer will reveal the "river" which is the last card. At this point you see a total of 7 cards: two in your hands and five on the table. Now the players play once last time, then everyone will reveal their hand. Your goal is to create the highest hand possible out of the seven cards, even if it only means using a card from the hand and four cards from the table. The player with the best hand wins!