This detailed guide will explain how to use a great app to keep all the other apps on your Mac updated to the latest version.
MacUpdater is an app that has a job – to keep All of the other apps on your Mac updated. To do this, scan your device and determine the version of each app you use. It compares those versions with a database containing over 40,000 apps and theirs the latest version. Then gives you a list of all your software and which items need to be updated. The best part? Each app update is one click away.
You can use MacUpdater to scan your device and get the results for free. If you want the “one click update”
Note: this guide was not sponsored and I got nothing in return for writing it, I just think MacUpdater is a great value.
- Start by going to the MacUpdater website (the link will open in a new tab / window). Download the installation file and then double-click it when the download is complete. Drag MacUpdater.app file to your applications the folder to install it.
- Launch MacUpdater by double-clicking on it in your applications folder. It immediately starts running a check of all the currently installed apps on your Mac.
- When you have scanned all your programs, a message will appear.
- MacUpdater lists all the apps on your Mac and their version number – the version you have installed and the latest version. If there is an update, the version number will be displayed in red and there will be one Update the app button next to it. Find one of Update the app buttons and click on it (even with the demo version of MacUpdater you can use it to update 10 apps).
- When you click Update the app button, it will be replaced by two smaller buttons. Click on the one that looks like an “down arrow” (see screenshot below).
- This shows the update status of that app.
- In all likelihood, you do not need to do anything – MacUpdater downloads the update in the background and then installs it for you. When the update is complete, it will notify you.
- If you want to double check that the app has now been updated to the latest version, open the app and select it About menu item. Somewhere in there you should find the version number.
- A few apps may require action on your part to update. If so, MacUpdater will still download the update for you and even launch the installation file, then submit it for you to complete.
- By default, MacUpdater also realizes that it should sometimes give you a “warning”. For example, if you update an app to a larger new version, it will notify you and make sure you are aware so you can confirm that you want to continue. This can really help if the software is of the paid kind and will require more money to update to the latest major version.
- Select settings to review all options. You may or may not want to MacUpdater to run every time your Mac starts up – you can turn that feature on or off General Settings section.
- click Scanning and updating to review even more settings. An incredibly useful feature is the ability to keep a backup of the app before the update runs, if for any reason you want to return.
- MacUpdater stays active in the menu bar and scans your apps for updates regularly. If you want to finish it, be sure to use Fast MacUpdater in the menu bar drop-down menu.
Now that you can easily keep all your Mac apps up to date, you have time to review the rest of the macOS guides on our website 🙂