Wings were built on football protection as a platform.
The pillows must be upgraded and reinforced for functionality and aesthetics. There were nylon strips that attached the two halves of the pads together, but I could drill the rivets and replace them with a piece of 1/8 aluminum rod, which the wing frame was then attached with 1/4 bolts. Go ahead and plan to get nylon no sliding bolts for this project, as the loktite thread seal gets old and crisp and inevitably fails over time.
The wing frame is aluminum tubes and flats, with 1/2 pvc tubes for extra length. This is a balance between robust for weight and trying to keep things light.
The pulleys at the top of the wings come from a garage door repair kit from Ace hardware. These are sufficiently fleshy to support the weight of the draw and have ball bearings for a smooth stroke.
The lower pulleys were expensive but are also steel and have ball bearings and worked much better than the original nylon washing lines I used.
The pneumatic cylinder that drives the wings was ordered from Amazon. They usually come with an egg yolk clevis pin which is threaded on the shaft and is perfect for pushing the cable. I lost mine and had to improvise an eye bolt and threaded coupling.
I also rescued an old tent and used the poles to make the wings ribs and help fill in the "skin" when they opened. I mounted the posts to the desired lengths and glued eyebolts in the shoulders that were mounted in the wing's upper joint.
Shining of the wings was done by laying the wings flat on the ground on top of a large vessel. paper and open them. Then trace the wings and use the paper as a template to cut the fabric. You have to do this 2x per wing front and back. I used a nylon fabric on the back of the wing and a faux leather pants fabric for the front. I limited the size of my wings by making a smaller skin because I would wear them in a small cramped place.
Once you have cut the pieces, sew them together and leave the area where the wings will be "attached". ** important tip. Make sure you sew these inside and out based on what you want the end piece to look like.
After my skins were sewn, I slipped them over the frame via the opening I left and guided the ribs into their correct sockets.
I then used sticky Velcro tape to pick up any slack and make the skin sit hard on the frame.