Cheers to a new beginning – a new moment – and a clear chance for us to make the best of it! 196
Without a doubt, the days, weeks and months ahead will be filled with incredible peaks and stressful lows. But in any case, we can train our minds to make the best of the moment as it develops.
Remind yourself that the mind is like a muscle, and just like all muscles in the human body, it must be exercised to gain strength. It must be trained daily to grow and develop gradually over time. Of course, if you haven't driven your mind in thousands of small, positive ways over time, crushing things one day will be overwhelmingly stressful. Positive affirmations are one of the simplest and most powerful tools for doing this. A mind well educated with positive affirmations has the right thoughts in line and ready for retrieval at a glance.
Last year, Angel wrote a short newsletter via email about one of our first students, who graduated with a doctorate a few years ago from one of the most prestigious universities in our country and is now the executive of one of the world's fastest growing technology companies. She continues to be my example of why affirmations are so powerful …
Throughout school and high school, she struggled desperately with a form of dyslexia that made reading and writing a monumental challenge. She spent kindergarten in 12th grade in language-based ESE classes. And during a parent conference when she was in 10th grade, one of her ESE teachers informed her parents that it was extremely unlikely that she would ever receive a high school diploma.
So, how did she do it? How did she push herself to rise and overcome the odds? "Confirmations," she confirmed with us when Angel and I interviewed her last year for a side project we were working on. “The daily confirmation rituals you introduced me to and held me responsible for changed everything! While it may sound cliché to some people, it certainly isn't – affirmations are powerful tools! I literally told myself that naysayers were wrong about me. I said exactly what I needed to hear every day to move my life forward. "
If you want to start (or improve) this ritual in your own life, here is a hand-picked selection of powerful, positive affirmations Angel and I often suggest to our course students as a starting point:
- " The biggest and most complex obstacle I ever will need to overcome is my mind. If I can overcome it, I can overcome everything. "
- " I cannot control exactly what is happening in life, but I can control how I respond to everything. In my answer, my greatest strength is. "
- " I have to accept what comes my way, and the only important thing is that I meet it with the best I have to give. "
- " I will stop focusing on how stressed I am and remember how blessed I am. Complaining won't change my reality, but a positive attitude will.
- "Being positive does not mean ignoring the negative. Being positive means overcoming the negative. There is a big difference between the two."
- "I will not capture what could have been or should have been have been. Instead, I will look at the power and possibility of what is right now. "
- " I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions. It is about not letting my fear determine "My future."
- "I'll be back. Again and again. The faster I recover from adversity, the faster I get to where I'm going in life."
- "My next step in the right direction doesn't have to be big. "
- " Patience is a genuine expression of trust, acceptance, calm and faith in my own ability. It is a sign of strength. I will practice it. "
- " When I discover that I do not have time for what is important, I will stop doing things that don't. "
- " I can always feel the genuine, positive power flowing from my decision to elevate myself over the small drama and distractions that really don't matter. "
- " Instead of getting angry, I will find the lesson. Instead of envy, I will feel admiration. Instead of concern, I will take positive action. Instead of doubt, I will have faith. "
- " The longer I stay peaceful, the stronger I become. Peace on the inside leads to real, meaningful progress on the outside. "
- " There is nothing selfish in self-care and self-love. I can't give what I don't have. As I enrich my own life, I will also give life to others. "
- " If the grass looks greener on the other side, it is just the way of life to remind me to water the grass I stand on. "
- " From now on, I will be too busy watering my own grass to notice if yours is greener. "
- " I will focus on making myself better, not thinking that I am better. "
- " I will practice gratitude, even in the midst of frustration and despair, so that I can better see the positive opportunities around me. " (Angel and I discuss this in more detail in the" Happiness "chapter on 1,000 Small Things Happy, Successful People Do Different.)
- " Happiness does not begin when "this, that or the other" is loosely. Happiness is what happens now, when I make the best of what I have. “
Challenge yourself to embrace every experience this year
All too often we long for a very small and selective selection of life experiences – the pleasant times, the happy situations, the things that make us feel comfortable. And yet, the whole reality is often quite different. Life gives us a comprehensive experience that awakens emotions that range from sadness to regret to pride to anger, love to loneliness … to happiness and more. These feelings are all part of being a living, breathing person.
So we can rebel against injustice in life – the injustice of having to deal with loss, having to face adversity, having to feel alone and uncomfortable and upset. Or we can embrace every experience that life gives us, including all our highs and lows – all happy moments and painful and everything in between. Life is not only happy and comfortable around the clock. It is well rounded and it is real.
To encompass all of life's experiences this year involves embracing every moment with our full presence, being open and vulnerable to reality, being gentle to ourselves when times are tough and practicing sincere gratitude no matter what happens.
It means accepting life as it is, and accepting ourselves as we are.
This means that you do not expect the best to happen every time, but instead accept what happens every time and make the best of it.
Of course, it is not easy, but it is worth working with.
YOU ARE WORTH TO WORK WITH. (And if you want extra support this year, we'd love to work directly with you through the Getting Back to Happy Course or Think Better, Live Better Conference.)
Your turn …  If you feel for it, we would love to hear from YOU.
Which confirmation mentioned above resonates most to you today, and why?
Leave a comment below and share your thoughts.
We recently released our NEW podcast, TINK BETTER, LIVE BETTER (yes, it shares the title of our annual live event). You can listen to the first 10 episodes of your favorite podcast player right now (M&A on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Google Podcasts).
Finally, our next annual Think Better, Live Better conference takes place February 8-9, 2020 in San Diego. We just released another 5 discounted early bird tickets that are still available right now (while they last).